Dog-Friendly Spots in NJ
It’s a beautiful summer weekend and you want to get outside, stretch, and do something fun. So does your dog – but where do you go? Guardian K-9 Training has the top picks for fun with your four-legged friend!
Take a walk in the park
Parks are the best place for you and your dog to take a lap and make some new friends! We recommend a leash, lots of water, and a big bowl to stay hydrated in the heat. Here are some top pet-friendly parks in the area:
- Freedom Park – Medford NJ – with 20 acres and plenty of parking and benches, this park also sports a big creek for your dog to play in. Dogs are allowed off-leash, but keep in mind it is not fully fenced!
- Laurel Acres Dog Park – Mount Laurel, NJ – this park has a big fenced area for off-leash playtime and a separate area for smaller pets. Perfect to meet new furry friends! Waste bags are provided, but mud is common after a rainy day.
- Mario Lanza Dog Park – Philadelphia, PA – if you’re looking for a longer day out of town, head over to this park which includes water fountains, trees, tables. Lots of lighting for night use!
Eat at rover-friendly restaurants
It’s been a long day, and you’re both ready for dinner. Where are the best places for a bite in NJ?
- Famous Dave’s – Cherry Hill, NJ – with tasty BBQ options and a casual outdoor seating area, this restaurant is known for its dog-friendly staff! Sharing encouraged.
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar – a glass of wine for the parents and plenty of water for your dogs. What more could you ask? Pet-friendly outdoor seating looks out on a large shopping area, so your dog is likely to get lots of attention!
- Hell’s Kitchen Lounge – Newark, NJ – this restaurant welcomes dogs at its outdoor tables and provides water bowls. Pet owners have been known to order bacon or other sides for their dogs. In addition, the restaurant holds an annual event – Woofstock – to benefit local animal rescues in the summer.
Have a shore-fun day at the beach
Fun in the sun and sand to run – for dogs and owners alike, NJ beaches are a great place to relax and recharge! Here are some dog-friendly beaches at the Jersey Shore:
- Fisherman’s Cove Conservation Area – Manasquan, NJ – a designated area on the eastern side of the beach is perfect for a trip to the water and a stroll along the nature trails up the shoreline. Dogs must be kept on leashes at all times.
- Longport Dog Beach – Ocean City, NJ – dogs have off-leash freedom year-round so they can run in the sand and roam wherever on the beach. The area is also known for great kid-friendly resorts, so you can bring the whole family!
- Gateway National Recreation Area – Sandy Hook, NJ – this large recreation area allows dogs on the Plum Island and Horseshoe Cove baysides during the offseason. People go swimming, hiking, bird watching, boating, and camping as well!
Don’t forget your manners! Call now for a FREE evaluation session
The best days out with your dog are the ones where they’re well-behaved. Guardian K9 Training provides top-quality in-home training and private off-site training to get your companion used to being out in public. Call today to schedule a free evaluation session!